Remodeling your home can be an excellent investment when done right. Simple remodels can raise the value of your house, make life more comfortable, and save you money in the long-run. Here are a few suggestions for easy remodels for each area in your house.
The key to beautiful bathrooms is good maintenance, which means regular re-grouting and polishing. To keep a bathroom looking good all year round, you have to fight factors like mold, rust, and water stains. Here are a few recommendations for bathroom remodels;
- Get stainless steel faucets and polish them regularly to prevent any stain buildups.
- Re-grout as needed; grout keeps water from getting into the substance behind your tiles and rotting it. Pay special attention to your shower tiles, since they’re subjected to more water than the others.
- Use a high efficiency toilets and shower heads to save on water.
- Install a cabinet under your sink to save space and reduce clutter.
The exterior of your home is what the rest of the world sees. It’s what you see after a long day at work, and what others see as they drive by the neighborhood. Here are a few simple remodels to keep your home looking nice and welcoming.
- Light fixture by your front door to keep it lit.
- Split up flowers that bloom in different seasons so you get a nice front yard year-round.
- Power wash and scrub the deck, and polish the wood to keep it clean and well-maintained.
- Repaint the exterior of your house. The climate in Arizona can be harsh on paint, so you may need to repaint your home every 10 years or so. Learn more about how often you should repaint.
Your bedroom is where you rest, play, and sleep. It’s the heart of your safe space, and a great reflection of your personality. To add new life to your bedroom, consider painting an accent wall; make one side of your bedroom a different color or pattern. Choose a new bedding that complements the wall colors to brighten the room up.
An especially smart bedroom renovation for the Gilbert, AZ area is an air-conditioner and well-maintained air ducts. The average summer temperature in Gilbert can reach high 90s, which means a comfortable night’s sleep requires an A/C. It isn’t enough to just use energy-efficient machines to save on power, you need to maintain your air ducts for optimal use.
According to AZcentral, “Even the most energy-efficient unit will underperform when coupled with bad ducts. Many homes in Arizona actually lose much of their cooling and heating capacity due to leaky air ducts.” Reseal and reconnect ducts, or reroute their path through your house to keep your HVAC systems efficient.
Your living room is a place for family and friends to relax, kick back, and enjoy a movie and good company. In the summer months, living rooms can also get pretty stuffy without an a/c. To solve this problem, and save on your electricity bills if you do have an a/c, install a ceiling fan. Ceiling fans can be decorative, and add a nice touch to your living room’s theme, but this addition to your home is more than stylish, it’s useful.
The kitchen is both a challenge and a pleasure to tackle, because there are often so many improvements that can be made. Here are a few simple remodels that will enhance your kitchen and make it even more fun to prepare food.
- Repaint the inside of your cabinets, and add a new finish and decorative knob to the doors.
- Install a water filtration system, which is much more convenient than stocking bottles (and better for the environment).
- Get soft closing cabinets to avoid slams and help your cabinets last longer. This could be as simple as changing the hinge mechanism on the doors.
- Install an easy-to-clean backsplash to eliminate oil stains and keep your walls clean, even after much use.
Note: Remodeling a kitchen to increase a home’s value is different from remodeling for your own convenience and taste. If you’re remodeling with the intention of selling, be sure to consult with a general contractor about the costs for a remodel, and find out how much value it will add so that you can maximize your investment. For example, a $50,000 remodel may only get $10,000 more on the market, but a strategic $20,000 remodel may get you $30,000 more.
Add an extra layer of elegance to your dining room by installing crown molding. These are similar to baseboards, only at the top of your walls instead of the bottom. Crown molding not only looks great in a dining room, but in your hallways as well. It should only take a weekend for an experienced installer, and lasts for years. If you want to try your hand at doing it yourself, check out this step-by-step guide.
The best way to decide which remodels are right for you is to consult with a general contractor to gauge your wants vs. needs. For example, if you have mold in your shower tile, that remodel will take precedence over a new kitchen counter top.
Task Pros Contracting is a general contractor in Gilbert, AZ. We can help you navigate your remodels, from getting any needed permits, to planning and scheduling the work. For more information about general contractor benefits and what you need to know, check out this comparison between general contractors vs subcontractors.
Want more ideas? Popular Mechanics wrote about 57 products that can spruce up your home, from pollutant-dissolving tiles to remote-controlled a/c.